If this table does not seem to describe your situation and you are:

Write to the U.S. address in "Certificates for employees" section for further information.

Write to the U.K. address in "For more information" section for further information.

Note As the table indicates, a U.S. worker employed in the United Kingdom can be covered by U.S. Social Security only if he or she works for a U.S. employer. A U.S. employer includes a corporation organized under the laws of the United States or any state, a partnership if at least two-thirds of the partners are U.S. residents, an individual who is a resident of the U.S. or a trust if all the trustees are U.S. residents. The term also includes a foreign affiliate of a U.S. employer if the U.S. employer has entered into an agreement with the Internal Revenue Service under section 3121(l) of the Internal Revenue Code to pay Social Security taxes for U.S. citizens and residents employed by the affiliate.

If preferred, the request may be sent by FAX to (410) 966-1861. Please note this FAX number should only be used to request certificates of coverage.

No special form is required to request a certificate but the request must be in writing and provide the following information:

Your employer can also request a certificate of U.S. coverage for you over the Internet using a special online request form available at www.socialsecurity.gov/coc. Only an employer can use the online form to request a certificate of coverage. A self-employed person must submit a request by mail or fax. To establish your exemption from coverage under the U.S. Social Security system, your employer in the United Kingdom must request a certificate of coverage (form UK/US 1) from the United Kingdom at this address:

Inland Revenue National Insurance Contributions Office Center for Non-Residents Rooms BP 1301/BP 1302 Bamburgh House Benton Park View Longbenton Newcastle upon Tyne NE98 1ZZ ENGLAND The same information required for a certificate of coverage from the United States is needed to get a certificate of coverage from the United Kingdom except that you must show your U.K. National Insurance number rather than your U.S. Social Security number.

The Privacy Act requires us to notify you that we are authorized to collect this information by section 233 of the Social Security Act. While it is not mandatory for you to furnish the information to the Social Security Administration (SSA), a certificate of coverage cannot be issued unless a request has been received. The information is needed to enable SSA to determine if work should be covered only under the U.S. Social Security system in accordance with an international agreement. Without the certificate, work may be subject to taxation under both the U.S. and the foreign Social Security systems.

If you dont wish to file a claim for benefits but would like more information about the agreement, write to:

Social Security Administration Office of International Programs P.O. Box 17741 Baltimore, Maryland 21235-7741 U.S.A.